Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Unkempt Ramblings on Adult Content

I’ve been thinking about sex a lot lately. Go figure. Not just sex, but how we look at sex. Now, don’t get me wrong, I think there’s a good reason for some censorship when it comes to sex. Little Bobby and Jenny don’t need to see full penetration thrust in their faces (Pun intended), and parents don’t need to have that conversation before the conversation about the basics of sex.

That being said, the United States has this weird thing with sex in media. It’s simultaneously ubiquitous, taboo, and precious, which is just fucking strange, if we’re being honest. I was talking with some people over the weekend about how we treat sex v. violence v. psychological issues in our fiction, compared to other countries. Especially in children’s works, but also in general. We would rather show exploding heads than a bare ass or nipple. You see it in movies. Gladiator got marked up for a shower scene, but the same person reviewing it for the MPAA failed to mention, you know, the blood (Watch “This Film is Not Yet Rated” to see this stuff. It’s a great film.).

I don’t think we need to do this. I don’t think we need to make such a big deal out of it. Good lord, I had to struggle to buy Nora Roberts books in middle school, but I read serial killer novels in elementary school. Stephen King kind of stuff. Nobody batted an eye. That seems like a problem for me, because not everyone is going to handle it well. That’s just the way things are. And, you know, Nora Roberts levels of sex were probably a little too much for me at that age, but I guarantee you don’t need a kid reading Red Dragon, either.

Do I think there’s a good reason for the beaded curtain and the plastic-wrap on the naughty books? Yes. But in general, why is it such a taboo? And why isn’t violence? And should things really change? Where do psychological issues fit in? A lot of questions, and not a lot of answers, so what do you lovely people think about this? Let me know, and stay tuned for content that’s a little more… fun.

Raven

No comments: