Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Zen of Gay Erotica

Darlings, I think it's time for a little change of pace. Normally, I'd invite you in for a glass of wine, some chocolate, and a lay or three. That's just what a good, respectable woman of my age and experience does, after all. But today, I want something different. I want to give you something different. I want to have a relaxing day. So yes, grab the bottle of wine from under the couch. But this time, let's sip it.

I want to be zen.

So much attention is given to the sweat-drenched, rippling muscles we've all come to expect on romance covers and the lingering touch of lips on blazing hot skin. But there's so much more to it, more that I think needs to be discussed.

What makes M/M erotica and erotic romance work for me is the seduction itself. Watching his hair fall. Noticing the color of his eyes, the number of piercings in his ears, the missing stud on his belt. It's in the focus, the sheer meditation of watching and knowing someone so intimately. That, above all else, makes or breaks a story for me. That is the essential zen of gay erotica. The play. The chase. While it's not unique to the M/M world, I feel that M/M readers are less likely to notice it than M/F or F/F readers. Which is a shame. The writing and development can be just as good, no matter the groupings involved.

So today, or tomorrow, or the next time you squirrel away a little time to read some M/M couplings (or triplings, or quadruplings, or what have you), promise me this: promise me that you'll take some time to find the real, loving interplay between characters. Just do that for little old me.

You could also subscribe, if you'd like. That would make me doubly happy.

Until next time, my darlings,

Raven

No comments: