Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: EQUILIBRIUM by Katey Hawthorne

Today, I have a treat: a review of a book I've been dying to read, and review, and generally praise.

This morning, right off of a long stint of reading Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Left Hand of Darkness", I finally got to crack open the wonder that is "EQUILIBRIUM", and devoured it in three hours. Yes, it's shorter than a lot of books--but who ever said that had to be a downside? Within those 108 pages, you'll find not only a strong, worthwhile romance, but panic, laughs, and those little prickly tears that never quite fall.

And there's the sex. We can't forget the sex.

The characters draw you in: you will want Hansen and Sam to hook up, and not just physically (the author leaves us not wanting any more of that--there's plenty of 'hooking up' to be had in this story). You want them to get together, and you'll have your pitchfork at the ready in case they don't.

The world and the science of the superhuman power don't, as those sorts of things have a tendency to do, overpower anything. It's subtle, wielded like a painter would chartreuse--just enough to make it bright, but not a chartreuse canvas. Of course, she includes it in the sweaty, salty, salacious scenes as well--a bite of lightning, warm hands 'down there'--but, in what is easily my favorite image of the entire book, an image that will stick with me for a long time, I believe, is Sam covered in thin streaks of lightning, just releasing it in the backyard. It's a delicious scene.

Now, I may not be able to sway you (though I hope I can), but I have been swayed, and bow at the Altar of Katey (not really, but I love melodrama!). If you still have doubts, you can check out her website, Superpowered Love. Still not convinced? Look at her Free Reads (Jealousy and The Best Gift Ever), both set in the same world (and relationship) as Equilibrium. If you still persist in your lack of faith, head over to the Equilibrium Page or, if you have been swayed, snag a copy at the Loose Id Store.

Peaceful reading,
Raven

No comments: